Co-first authors #; Mentored graduate student * or undergraduate student ^
16. Brückner, A., A.A. Barnett, I.A. Antoshechkin and S.A. Kitchen. (bioRxiv) Molecular evolutionary trends and biosynthesis pathways in the Oribatida revealed by the genome of Archegozetes longisetosus. (https://bit.ly/2W3IMoU)
15. Kitchen, S.A., C.C. Osborne*, N.D. Fogarty and I.B. Baums. (in review) The “bushy” morphotype is not linked to mitochondrial haplogroups of Caribbean acroporid hybrids.
14.Gorman, L.M.*, S.P. Wilkinson, S.A. Kitchen, C.A. Oakley, A.R. Grossman, V.M. Weis, S.K. Davy. (2020) Phylogenetic analysis of cell-cycle regulatory proteins within the Symbiodiniaceae. Scientific Reports, 10:20473.
13. Vasquez Kuntz, K.L.*#, S.A. Kitchen#, T.L. Conn, S.A. Vohsen*, A.N. Chan*, M.J.A. Vermeij, C. Page, K.L. Marhaver, I.B. Baums. (bioRxiv) Juvenile corals inherit genetic mutations acquired during their parent’s lifespan.
- “Corals are first animals seen to pass on mutations acquired as adults” New Scientist
12. Reich, HG*, SA Kitchen, KH Stankiewicz*, MK Devlin-Durante, ND Fogarty, and IB Baums (bioRxiv) Genotypic similarity among algal symbionts corresponds to associations with closely related coral hosts.
11. Kitchen, SA, G Von Kuster, KL Vasquez Kuntz*, HG Reich*, W Miller, S Griffin, ND Fogarty and IB Baums (2020) STAGdb: a 30K SNP genotyping array and Science Gateway for Acropora corals and their dinoflagellate symbionts. Scientific Reports, 10(12488)
- Highlighted by NSF “4 Awesome Discoveries You Probably Didn’t Hear About”
10. Baums, IB, AC Baker, SW Davies, A Grottoli, CD Kenkel, SA Kitchen, IB Kuffner, TC LaJeunesse, MV Matz, MW Miller, JE Parkinson, and AA Shantz (2019) Considerations for maximizing the adaptive potential of restored coral populations in the western Atlantic. Ecological Applications, e01978.
9. Parkinson, JE, AC Baker, IB Baums, SW Davies, A Grottoli, SA Kitchen, TC LaJeunesse, MV Matz, MW Miller, AA Shantz, and CD Kenkel (2019) Molecular tools for coral reef restoration: beyond biomarker discovery. Conservation Letters, e12687.
8. Kitchen, SA#, A Ratan#, OC Bedoya-Renia, R Burhans, ND Fogarty, W Miller, and IB Baums (2019) Genomic variants among threatened Acropora corals. G3: Genes|Genomes|Genetics, 9.5: 1633-1646.
7. Kramer, B, AJ Bourdelais, SA Kitchen, and AR Taylor. (2018) Uptake and localization of fluorescently-labeled Karenia brevis metabolites in marine microbial taxa. Journal of Phycology, 55 (1), 47-59.
6. Kitchen, SA, AJ Bourdelais, and AR Taylor. (2018) Interaction of a dinoflagellate neurotoxin with voltage-activated ion channels in a marine diatom. PeerJ 6: e4533.
5. Sproles*, AE, NL Kirk, SA Kitchen, CA Oakley, AR Grossman, VM Weis, and SK Davy. (2018) Phylogenetic characterization of transporter proteins in the cnidarian-dinoflagellate symbiosis. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 120: 307-320.
4. Kitchen, SA, AZ Poole, and VM Weis. (2017) Sphingolipid metabolism of a sea anemone is altered by the presence of dinoflagellate symbionts. The Biological Bulletin, 233(3): 242-254.
3. Kitchen, SA and VM Weis. (2017) The sphingosine rheostat is involved in the cnidarian heat stress response but not necessarily in bleaching. Journal of Experimental Biology, 220: 1709-1720.
2. Poole, AZ, SA Kitchen, and VM Weis. (2016) The role of complement in cnidarian-dinoflagellate symbiosis and immune challenge in the sea anemone Aiptasia pallida. Frontiers in Microbiology, 7: 519.
1. Kitchen, SA#, CM Crowder#, AZ Poole, VM Weis and E Meyer. (2015) De novo assembly and characterization of four anthozoan transcriptomes. G3: Genes|Genomes|Genetics, 5(11): 2441-2452. Cover Art
PAPERS IN PREPARATION
2. Kitchen, SA, K Stankiewicz*, C.C. Osborne*, MK Devlin-Durante, A Chan*, B Kamel, SB Piorkowski^, HG Reich*, S Vohsen*, ND Fogarty, W Miller, and IB Baums (in preparation) Genome-wide analysis of introgression and speciation in Caribbean acroporids.
1. Kitchen, SA, D Jiang, S Harii, N Satoh, VM Weis, and C Shinzato. (in preparation) Hyperthermal stress alters phenotypic and transcriptomic response of coral larvae at the onset of symbiosis.